Friday, October 5, 2007

Good Heads on our Shoulders

Liam has just inherited his daddy's toys. This means that he now gets to play with Star Wars, He-Man, Transformers, and G.I. Joe.



This is not always a bad thing. Take G.I. Joe, for example. There is a character called "Cobra Commander." Fit that into a Barry Manilow song (it sounds remarkably like Copacabana), and you've got a great alternative to Raffi stuck in your head for the rest of the day.


Unfortunately, Liam unleashes his destructive tendencies upon small children and harmless toys, so most of the new toys are no longer in one piece. If the next installment of Star Wars is called Decapitated Darth, Lifeless Luke, or Headless Han, you can say you knew us when.


But it's a little disconcerting to find toy body parts all over our house. I open the cupboards, and there's Luke's head staring at me from the shelf. Just his head. Not what I wanted to see just before breakfast. It could just as easily be a set of legs, or an arm.


Wouldn't it be convenient if we could all remove our own body parts and reattach them with no permanent damage? Oh, I'm busy today. I'll just borrow someone else's extra arm and attach it so I can have some extra appendages for cooking dinner and changing diapers while fixing toys and holding babies. Then I could give it back when I was done. Rent-an-arm--I could make millions with my ideas.

No comments: