I've blogged about some budgeting ideas that make me laugh because they assume someone who wants to spend less money is already spending way too much. Now here are some budgeting ideas that make me laugh because, well, you've gotta have a life. There are some depths to which I will not sink in order to save money.
1. Reusing sandwich/freezer bags.
2. Flushing the toilet less often.
3. Sharing lawnmowers with neighbors.
4. Sharing hygiene items with family members.
5. Disconnecting the internet.
1. Unless we have to live through another Depression and the alternative is starvation, I'm not washing out plastic bags for reuse. I may be miserly, but I can also think of a million other things I'd rather do with my time than save a few cents by rinsing sandwich bags. Sometimes saving time is as important as saving money.
2. Gross. I don't care how much water it uses to flush. Toilets are supposed to be flushed. That's what they're made to do.
3. Sure, it costs a couple hundred bucks to buy a lawnmower. But we have enough trouble finding time in the summer to mow our lawn as it is without waiting in line for our turn.
4. Sorry, honey, Irish Spring just isn't my thing. Ladies' deodorant may be more expensive, but I refuse to go anywhere in public smelling like a man. And if I find you using my pink razors on your face, my hairy legs will kick your butt.
5. Are you kidding? Why not just send me off to live in a cave in the mountains with the children and not let me come back to civilization for 20 years?