Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hop Humbug

I am breaking my eleven-day blog silence with an important announcement: I hate sugar.

Last night, Liam suddenly remembered that last year, the "Easter Egg Bunny" came to our house and hid some eggs. He wondered if the "Easter Egg Bunny" would come again. Of course, we couldn't bear to wreck his happy-candy chicky bunny fat-filled Easter tradition, so Mr. Bunny came. He brought 24 eggs, all filled with candy. This was after the egg hunt at church, from which Liam and his brother also received several other plastic-filled eggs.

So now there is candy all over our house. I made the mistake of looking at the nutrition label on the back of one of the packages. One serving has 60% of an adult's saturated fat per serving. They measure their servings by weight, and I haven't yet applied the long division to find out how many candies are in a serving because I just don't want to know.

I had the same problem at Christmas. I don't mind a little candy in their stockings, but there is a such thing as too much. That's why we still have Christmas candy sitting on our storage shelves.

Many people think it's important to establish holiday traditions such as baking cookies, Easter candy, and Christmas candy so that the kids have happy holiday memories. I'm glad for their little memories. My memories of this time will include prying the kids off the ceiling after all their sugar consumption and barricading myself in my room so I don't have to listen to them whine for still more sugar.

Next year, we're going to buy a lot less candy. Maybe we can "forget" about Easter egg hunts, at least the ones that result in them carrying home their weight in candy. Why do all the major holidays have to revolve around sugar?

Maybe next year, I'll tell Liam the Easter bunny died. It could happen. I'm in the mood to kill a certain happy little rabbit right now, and I'll bet lots of other parents are, too. Just call me Elmer Fudd. "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

1 comment:

Sara and Company said...

Elmer Fudd.....hee hee hee! Kaylie, you are just too creative and funny! thank you for the laugh!!! Fortunately Will often forgets that there is candy and can go a whole day or so without some...but when he does discover it, the whining for more just about knocks me off my rocker! Good luck!