Monday, May 19, 2008

Mama Kaylie and the Very, Very Good Day

This weekend, I went to a writers' conference downtown. I wore my (only) fancy-schmancy business-type pants. I left the children with Mark all day. I drove to the train station, bought a ticket, and rode on it like a commuter. I arrived early and talked to some grown-ups. Yes, folks, she can work it. I met an editor of an online children's magazine and another writer. I got my name tag (printed in black-and-white, no markers or crayons in sight) with my name on it. I sat in an uncomfortable chair and met more writing types. I listened to a presentation by a real, live New York editor and a real, live published author. I bought myself lunch which I ate all by myself. I didn't even cut it in pieces first. Then I wandered around to the bookstore, bought some of the books people were talking about, and strolled around outside without a stroller. I listened some more and met some more people. Then I had to run back to the train station in my grown-up dressy shoes (curse those very grown-up high arches and bunions), lost a shoe a couple of times, and sat down inside the train. I read a book all the way back to my station, drove home, and arrived there to find the children still alive and happy (Mama who?), and the oven preheating for our pizza dinner. Can I do this again next week?

2 comments:

Sara and Company said...

Yay for you! That sounds so wonderful! I don't remember the last hour that I was without at least one kid. Sounds like a truly fabulous day. We all need one of those here and there.

Christie said...

What a wonderful day!! You deserve a day just for you Kaylie. I say you schedule another one soon.