Monday, November 2, 2009

No NaNoWriMo for me

If you are unfamiliar with this glorious acronym, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. In other words, it's a bunch of people who commit online to make themselves crazy with words for about thirty days. Being the kind of person I am (i.e., the kind who enjoys giving herself impossible tasks just to see if she can do them), I considered it. I have an idea for a third novel I'm excited to write. But (sigh) there are lots of reasons it just won't work this year.
I'm committed to attend our local SCBWI writer's conference, which takes place in November. I am getting close to the end of my WIP--almost 200 pages. Then there are revisions for that manuscript as well as a major overhaul of the first novel. I'm not going to get anywhere if I can't finish the projects I already have underway. Plus I have a nine-month-old. I can write eight or so pages some days, but when I do, it's a fluke. I have never been able to keep that kind of pace consistently. You could argue that it's because I haven't committed to do so. And you'd be right. But I just don't want to deal with that kind of insanity this year.

1 comment:

mustangsabby said...

I wanted to do NaNoWriMo this year too, but with a young child, standing for a regional pony club position, and a bunch of projects on the go for Christmas, it will have to wait for another year *sigh*

I even had an idea for this year too... But when I talked to my husband about his support if I did do the month-long-crazy, he said "Why would you do that? Its not like you would finish it or anything"....

I wanted to smack him with my writing prompts book, right then and there.

Ah well. But it sounds like you are really moving along with a bunch of projects! Way to go!