Thursday, June 12, 2008

First paycheck

A real, actual, check (with my name on it!) found its way to my mailbox today. It was for a (very) small article that will appear in a magazine. So now we have actual proof that someone, somewhere thinks my writing is good enough to put into print.
So, the question is, now what?
I still want to publish novels and write more of them. I think. Even on the days when my brain can't make up a whole paragraph, somewhere it knows it likes fiction.
But if I could write articles, a few hundred dollars at a time, it wouldn't tax my brain nearly as much. I can't even tell you how many more headaches it causes me when I have to make stuff up and be clever about it, too.
I don't have time for both right now. Sometimes I don't even have time for one.
But at least somebody gave me a nice little piece of paper which gives me hope. I will deposit it in my Someday There Will Be More of This account.

2 comments:

Sara and Company said...

Yay yay yay for you! That is so exciting!

Kari said...

Congratulations!